This week’s tutorial is a simplified explanation of Mid/Side EQ.
EQ is one of the most common & useful tools when mixing. Boosting & cutting frequencies can really clean up a mix, reduce muddiness, & excite different areas of importance, but did you know there are many options your EQ can do like controlling the center & the sides of the mix separately?
Mid/Side EQ allows you to boost & cut frequencies in the center & the stereo spread differently. This technique can help out a lot with bringing out lead vocals or instruments, smoothing out low end problems, & creating a wider stereo image. In this easy to follow along video, Realistic talks about how Mid/Side EQ works & the best situations to use this handy EQing technique.
Follow along as professional engineer Eric “Realistic” Michael breaks down a simplified explanation of Mid/Side EQ.
JOIN MY UNQUANTIZED PODCAST COMMUNITY:
Don't miss out Unquantized Podcast Live & Interactive by @soundoracle + @triza starting at 4pm every Friday @IG !!!
AWESOME SAMPLE PACKS:
REALISTIC PRODUCTIONS (Engineer)
Realistic is a music producer and engineer located in the Twin Cities. He has been producing music for Hip-Hop & Pop music since 2004. In 2017 he graduated with an AAS in Music Production & Engineering. He is a producer for Pharaoh & Alexis Krystine. Realistic is SoundOracle’s head engineer in which he mixes/masters the loop & drum kits for SoundOracle.net & mixes for the websites mixing service as well.
- Top 5 Saturation Plugins For 808s
- Normalizing Tutorial: Normalization Explained
- Tutorial: How To Properly EQ The Modern Voice (The Sound of Mainstream Vocals)
- Preparing Stems Tutorial: How To Properly Prepare Files For Mixing
- Synth Pads Tutorials: Tips To Mix Pads Into Any Song
- Trap Adlib Effect: Side Chain Reverb
- Mixing In Mono: The Classic Trick That Could Save Your Mix
- Brass Instruments: What To Boost & Cut
- String Instruments: What To Boost & Cut
- Electric Guitar: What To Boost & Cut
- Acoustic Guitar: What To Boost & Cut
- Synth Bass: What To Boost & Cut
- Bass: What To Boost & Cut
- Piano: How To EQ The Perfect Piano
- Hi-Hat: How To EQ The Perfect Hi-Hat
- 808s: How To EQ The Perfect 808
- Snare Drum: How To EQ The Perfect Snare
- Kick Drum: How To EQ The Perfect Kick
- EQ Or Compression First?: Learn Why You May Have Been This Wrong
- Phase Cancellation: Learn How To Eliminate The Silent Killer
- The Best Plugins For Stereo Widening
- How To Create Modern Melodies & Lead Lines
- How To Build Modern Chord Progressions
- How To Layer Drums Like A Pro
- Mastering: How To Use A De-Esser On The Master Channel
- Multiband Saturation: How To Bring Your Bass To Life
- Side-Chaining: A Step By Step Tutorial
- How To Beef Up Your Kick Drum Using A Signal Generator
- How To Make Your Mixes Wider Using Mid/Side Compression
- How To Synthesize Your Voice: Travis Scott Vocal Effect
- How To Mix A Kick With An 808
- How To Get Rid Of Vocal Resonance
- How To Use Parallel Compression
- How To Improve Your Recording Process
- Compressors: A Simplified Guide To How They Work
- Mastering: A Step-By-Step Tutorial
- How To Get Your Drums To Sound 10x Better Using Parallel Distortion
- Analog Gear VS Digital Plugins: What’s the Real Difference?
- Gear & Signal Processing